Ten things to learn as SDET in 2023
10 things you should learn to become a perfect candidate for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) position
- Testing frameworks: Familiarize yourself with testing frameworks such as JUnit, TestNG, and Selenium. These frameworks are commonly used in the industry and will make your job easier.
- Automation: Automation is a key aspect of an SDET's job, so you should be proficient in automated testing tools like Selenium WebDriver, Appium, and Playwright.
- Agile methodologies: Many companies use Agile development methodologies, so you should be familiar with Scrum and Kanban.
- Performance testing: Learn about performance testing tools such as Apache JMeter, Gatling, and k6s. These tools will help you test the performance of your application under different loads.
- Continuous integration and delivery: Learn about CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Gitlab CI, and Github Actions. These tools are used to automate the software development process. That includes static analysis with SonarCloud.
- SQL: You should have a good understanding of SQL and be able to write basic queries. This will help you with test data setup and validation.
- Cloud computing: Cloud computing is becoming increasingly popular, so you should have a basic understanding of cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and GCP. Kubernetes and Docker is also a must.
- Debugging: Being able to debug an application is an important skill for an SDET. Learn how to use tools such as IntelliJ Debugger and Visual Studio Debugger.
- Communication: Communication is key in any job, but especially in software development. As an SDET, you will need to be able to communicate effectively with developers, product managers, and other stakeholders.
By learning these skills, you will be well on your way to becoming a perfect candidate for a Software Development Engineer in Test position with top companies around the world.